[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: ActiveX security hole reported.

Todd Merritt wrote:
>Kinda off topic, but you can disable the autoload and autosave macros and
>effectively prevent infection from any type of macro "virus".

This is true, and people are doing this. But consider the big picture.
Powerful autoloading macros were the heart and soul of the Microsoft sales
pitch to corporate users. Some companies invested tens, if not hundreds, of
thousands of dollars worth of development time in macro-based document
processing automation. Microsoft's suggestion that people "simply" turn off
autoload is a bit like GMC saying "those cars will be fine, just don't put
them in gear."

Respectfully...Stephen